The basic tool for changing a watch band is called a spring bar tool, also called a strap removal tool, watch pin tool , or a Burgeon tool, after the Swiss company that makes them. It looks like a pencil, with a metal fork on one end to pinch the spring bar while you apply pressure, and a pin on the other end to push out spring bars or bracelets on watches or buckles that have holes all the way through (drilled lugs). Most nice spring bar tools are well machined and come with removable ends for different size forks.
For basic beginners who are not looking to spend too much money, we recommend the BARTON Spring Bar Tool. At around $11 it’s inexpensive, it has a built-in ruler for measuring the width between your lugs (so you know what size band to buy) and it will hold up relatively well.
Lastly, you can go Swiss and buy a Burgeon for about $21. It has removable tips available in fine or standard sizes and will hold up exceptionally well over time. You’ll have to find your own ruler (shouldn’t be too hard).
Crown and Buckle – Watch Strap Tools
Alternatives – How to change a strap without a spring bar tool
If you don’t have a spring bar tool available and you really need to change a tool you can use a very small knife or a small screwdriver. Every time you do it a watch enthusiast will die a little inside. But if it’s your only option and you really want to change a strap, we say go for it. Better to have a watch being used than sitting in a drawer gathering dust with a broken strap. Just don’t scratch the lugs.
Also check out our other guides:
- How to Safely Purchase a Watch Online
- List of reputable watch strap companies & brands
- Tools for Replacing A Watch Strap Or Band
- How to Pick Out The Right Watch Band For Your Watch
- 5 Tips For Picking Out A New Watch Band Or Strap
- The Complete Guide to the Orient Bambino Dress Watch
- Seiko SNK Watch Guide
- Seiko Presage Cocktail Time Guide
- How to Fix A Broken Loop On Your Watch Strap
- Basic Bands 2018 Watch Strap And Band Gift Guide
We are an Amazon Affiliate.